Thursday, March 22, 2012

I attended a local screening of the RAAM documentary, "Bicycle Dreams" tonight. Since I own the DVD and have already seen it I went mostly to "rub elbows" and observe just how a screening was presented.

After the screening there was a question and answer period with RAAM Director Rick Boethling. The group of around 200 paid close attention to the movie. When it was over, before Mr Boethling could take the stage, a member of my social bike club stood up and addressed those in attendance. He pointed out that I had gained RAAM Qualified status and had me stand as he listed my achievements and introduced me. While I appreciated his gesture, I felt a bit uneasy. I know, as well as most of the people in crowd, and the RAAM officials, that there is a huge difference between being RAAM Qualified and being ready to ride RAAM.
Rick Boethling pointed that out as he stepped on stage.

A few folks came up to me and wished me well.

If my friend were going to say something I just would have preferred something along the line of "Kevin is hoping to compete in RAAM in 2013, he's right over there"

I did come away with some ideas on how I will put a screening together in the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment